You will need:
• HDD formatted with the “BD Emulator Format HDD” from the console (NOT ps3gen);
• A HEX editor that supports disk editing (for this guide a use WinHEX)
How to edit the size of HDD
If you do not want to dedicate an entire HDD to PS3 backup, with this guide you can edit the size of the ps3gen partition and have one that you will use with Ps3Gen and one that you can format in FAT32/NTFS or in another format of your choice to be used normally.
1. Connect the HDD to your PC;
2. Start a HEX edit of your choice;
3. If you use WinHEX, from the menu bar select “Tools -> Open Disk Drives”;
4. Now open “Disk Management” (“Start -> Right click on Computer -> Manage”, go to “Disk Management” in the left menu) and browse to your HDD.
5. Now you have to select your HDD from the window of the “physical disk” , NOT logical units;
6. Go to ‘Offset “1CA”, you can use the command ALT + G (with WinHEX);
1 sector = 512 bytes
Size my HDD = 500107862016 bytes
500107862016 : 512 = 976773168 sectors
Convert 976773168 into HEX = 3A386030
Reversed bytes 3A|38|60|30 -> 30|60|38|3A Maximum size of partition 2TB
7. Now using the above procedure we can choose the size that we want to give our PS3 partition.
My HDD is 500GB and I want to dedicate the 300GB PS3, so I will do so
a. Size that I want to give to the partition = 300GB -> 322122547200 bytes
b. Transform the bytes into sectors 322122547200 : 512 = 629145600 sectors
c. Convert sectors into HEX 629145600 -> 25800000
d. Reversed bytes 25|80|00|00 -> 00|00|80|25
e. Finally, I replace it and save the changes.
Bypass the 4 slot limit of Ps3gen, and edit the size of slots and HDD’ s partition
NOTE: If you want to partition the slots so that they take up less space on the hard disk, you will have a newly formatted HDD from PS3 and if you want to partition it must do so before following this guide, why do it later may not allow proper backups.
1. Follow the guide above until step 5.
2. Go to ‘Offset “2000B”, you can use the command ALT + G (with WinHEX);
3. To increase the number of slots you have to replace the number 04 with the number of slots that we want (I did not understand how it works because if I enter 20 I create 31 slot and not 20, not too bad ) and for each slot we have to add one 0B and its size in HEX.
4. Now I will explain how to get the HEX to partition the slot of the size we want.
We want the first slot occupies 10gb
a. Convert gigabytes into bytes 10gb -> 10737418240 bytes
b. We divide the bytes to 512 (bytes per sector) 10737418240 : 512 -> 20971520 sectors
c. Convert the value obtained in HEX 20971520 -> 1400000 HEX
d. 1400000 is divided in this way 01|40|00|00, we start from the right and divide every 2 digits, zeros are added at the end in order to always have 4 pairs.
e. It replaces and save the changes.
Here you have a screenshot of my HDD Slots partitioned. Slots are in order, the first at the top coincides with the 0 and so on.
The other numbers occurring on the screenshot are automatically generated from Ps3Gen
NOTE: Once you have partitioned the slot, if you edit the dimensions again, the games in the successive Slots not start.
The guide is a bit ‘long, but I hope I explained well enough for even the least practical of these changes. For any explanation do not hesitate to ask questions.
Sorry for my English, but I hope there are not more write errors.