Here we see reproduced the Retron 3 , the only console of its kind that allows you to play all the titles cartridge consoles NES , SuperNes , Genesis , Super Famicom and Megadrive.
The new version will include support for the cartridges of the Gameboy , Gameboy Color andGameboy Advance, its name was originally set up as Retron 4, but given the chance to put an extra slot in the house more Hyperkin has decided to add support for the Famicom (without the use of adapters).
Retron5 pre-orders have finally (about damn time) opened. Amazon seems to be the only place taking pre-orders. Hyperkin hasn’t announced an official release date yet, although Amazon lists October 31. They are taking pre-orders for both the black and grey models of the console.
For those of you who have been following this console, you know it’s quite highly anticipated and looks to be far better than any clone system released before.
For those unfamiliar, here’s a little info:
- It’s one system that plays games for the following systems: NES, SNES, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Super Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.
- Two controller ports for each console will be built in with the system. It will also come with one wireless universal controller.
- Outputs in HDMI and upscales for HDTVs. Early impressions and videos of this have been extremley postive. From the website: “The RetroN 5 will up convert the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You will also be able to select the aspect ratio in our GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9.”
- Features a user interface (dashboard. Somewhat similar of the PS3 interface in appearance, in my opinion).
- Features save states. From the website: “Most games did not allow for you to freely save your games. The RetroN 5 will allow you to save their games at any point during gameplay, and will feature an autosave feature upon shutdown. You will be able to load your saves at anytime during gameplay.”
- Button reassignment supported. From the website: “Users will be able to program the controller to assign buttons to their preference. In turn, the RetroN 5 will save these custom layouts, so that users will not have to constantly reconfigure the button configuration. This feature will also be available to people wanting to remap their buttons on their original controllers.”
- 100% game cartridge compatibility, without lag.
More information is here. It may be a bit dated since this was from back when they first announced the console, but I figured it was the best site to link since it also featured some screenshots as well. http://hyperkin.com/…gaming-classic/ There is also plenty of info on Hyperkin’s facebook page.
I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time, and i’m extremley excited that pre-orders are finally open. For one console that not only plays all of these console’s games, but upscales them and features save states (either to the cartridge (if supported) or the console itself)…this seems like a great deal. And if you’ve been following the hype for the console, there is a good chance it could end up selling out. Hyperkin isn’t a huge company and this thing has a TON of pre-release demand (just check out the comments on the facebook page). I like the look of the black one a bit better, because it seems to be the traditional console color nowadays. But I opted for the grey model because the black console and controller seem like they’d be fingerprint magnets.
Preorder either color here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co…ywords=retron 5