Note from wololo: This is a tutorial from our community member titegtnodI, this article is not from me. He made the cool suggestion to post it here as well. You can find his original thread here.
I couldn’t help but notice many people seem to be having issues running emulators. I have a pretty comfortable setup myself with gpsp, MasterBoy, Nester AoEX, and SNES9xTYL. So if any of those emulators interest you, I’ll explain to you a quick and easy way to get those running. Download everything in the required files, and we’ll get started!
Note: This tutorial assumes that you already know how to install homebrew, if you don’t, please refer to here to find your corresponding tutorial.
If you already have one of these emulators, please download my copy as it’s setup to support the “ROM Directory Structure” that I’ve included in this tutorial.
- 7-zip (If you don’t already have it)
- ROM Directory Structure (100% required)
- SNES9xTYL (For SNES games)
- Nester AoEX (For NES games)
- MasterBoy (For GB / GBC / Sega Master System / Game Gear games)
- gPSP (For GBA games)
If you don’t already have 7-zip, please install that now. I’ll be including screenshots of 7-Zip to try to assist in it’s usage.
Next, extract all of the .7z files to your PSP save directory for your Vita (Should look like PSAVEDATAcv3e231472f1a122 or something, this is mine).
- Open up the directory “ROMS/ROMS”, you should see folders titled gba, gbc, nes, and snes. If there’s a type of rom you want that’s not included in this folder (like Game Gear), create a folder for that now.
- Simply add in all the ROMs you want to the directories, this step can be repeated at any time so don’t feel pressured to put in every ROM you think you might use.
- Go to “ROMS” (so one directory up), right-click the subdirectory titled “ROMS”, and click “7-Zip -> Add to archive…“.
- Set the archive format to zip, the compression level to store, and the name to “INSTALL.ZIP” (case sensitive) (Screenshot), and press ok
Yay your ROMs are ready for the Vita!
Now you just need to transfer the saves of ROMS, and all the emulators you want to play to your Vita. Then you can just install and play! gPSP is an exception though, you need to extract it’s INSTALL.ZIP, download a GBA BIOS (find it via Google, don’t PM me for it), add it to the same folder as it’s EBOOT.PBP, rezip it using the settings you used before and you’re good to go for all of your emulators!Tweet this!